NEON’s Data Institutes provide critical skills and foundational knowledge for graduate students and early career scientists working with heterogeneous spatio-temporal data to address ecological questions.
June 2016: Remote Sensing with Reproducible Workflows
Our 2016 Institute focused on remote sensing of vegetation using open source tools and reproducible science workflows. The programming language of instruction in 2016 was R. This Institute was held at NEON headquarters in June 2016.
The teaching materials from the 2016 Data Institute will be converted into self-paced online tutorial series and will be provided free on this site. In the meantime, you can directly access the 2016 Data Institute materials here. These materials were designed to be used in the context of the workshop with an instructor.
|–||Computer Setup Materials|
|–||27 May - 2 June||Intro to NEON & Reproducible Science|
|–||3-9 June||Version Control & Collaborative Science with Git & GitHub|
|–||10-16 June||Documentation of Your Workflow with RMarkdown|
|–||20-26 June||Data Institute|
|7:50am - 10:00pm||Monday||Intro to NEON, Intro to HDF5 & Hyperspectral RS|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Tuesday||Intro to LiDAR data, Automated Workflows|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Wednesday||Remote Sensing Uncertainty|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Thursday||LiDAR & Hyperspectral Data Fusion|
|8:00am - 6:30pm||Friday||Group projects|
|9:00am - 2:00pm||Saturday||Group project presentations|
You too can watch several of the presentations that were given at the 2016 Data Institute!
- Big Data, Open Data and Biodiversity with David Schimel
- An Introduction to Hyperspectral Remote Sensing
- An Introduction to Full Waveform LiDAR
- NEON Remote Sensing Vegetation Indices, Data Products & Uncertainty Measurements
- NEON Terrestrial Observation Vegetation Sampling
Key 2016 Dates
- Application Deadline: March 28, 2016
- Notification of Acceptance: April 4, 2016
- Tuition payment due by: April 18, 2016
- Pre-institute online activities: June 1-17, 2016
- Institute Dates: June 20-25, 2016